If Lebanese say that they talk Lebanese but they use arabic letters, don’t mean that they are Arabs. Everything else is a political slogan used on political campaigns by politics to gain more parliamentary powers.
The author of the article uses the Italian example, but I use the Scandinavian example because the region has many countries. The Norwegian will tell you that they speak Norwegian, Swedish by the Swedes, Finnish by the Finns, and so on. They will not ever tell you they speak Scandinavian.
Lebanon exists in a region called the eastern Mediterranean, Al-mashreq. And that’s all.
“Admin” on sociallay.com wrote a very detailed deep article about the Lebanese language. This is a long read, even if I just shared the simple parts. Source of text and images from sociallay.com. A follower on Twitter wrote to me that the author of the original article is Nassim Nicholas Taleb account @nntaleb.
Time to upset the Arabists & linguists: https://t.co/yj1ngzYrbK
— Nassim Nicholas Taleb (@nntaleb) April 28, 2018
It might be an anachronism to claim that Italian is a dialect of Catalan, however secure to say that Italian comes from Latin. However relating to Lebanese (extra typically NorthWestern Levantine), the “politically right” Arabist-think-tank view is that’s is derived from Arabic (Lebanese “dialect” of Arabic) to accommodate sensitivities — even linguists discover arguments to violate the arrow of time to serve the curiosity of pan-Arabism (and theology). In conditions the place there are similarities between a phrase utilized in Leb and Arabic, they insist it comes from Arabic not from a typical root.
The factors are:
– Lebanese (extra typically NorthWestern Levantine, neo-Canaanite) is a standalone Semitic dialect (or language) that doesn’t descend from Arabic, fairly the reverse; it’s near Phoenician and Aramaic, largely predates Arabic, has some Arabic influences (maybe not more than Farsi or Turkish), however has not inherited from it as a lot as marketed (damaged plurals however not its wealthy verb kinds) .
– Its grammar as we’ll see under stays largely non-Arabic. Many phrases which are in each Leb and Arabic however not widespread in Aramaic occur to be in North-Phoenician (Ugaritic).
– I took a listing of probably the most frequent statistically used phrases (by Zipf regulation, > 80% of vocabulary) and appeared for phrases that exist in each Leb and Akkadian, Ugaritic (North Phoenician), and present that very only a few exist in Arabic however not different Semitic roots.
– The “Arabization” mission promoted by the American College in Beirut within the 1860s (beginning with the interpretation of the Bible) appears to contaminate probably the most low IQ Westerners of the suppose tank/State division Arabist sorts, not locals — most individuals who disagree with the purpose and assist the orthodoxy don’t converse both Leb or Aramaic, or fail in fundamental reasoning.
– The latin alphabet (truly Phoenician) lends itself higher to Lebanese, with such accents as é — however that’s one other word.
What do individuals name “Arabic”?
In a skit an ISIS man goes to a Christian Lebanese village, Zghorta, and shouts in Classical Arabic (“increase your arms!” “ارفع يديك”) to a Zghorta villager, who solutions him “converse to me in Arabic!” (7ki ma3é 3arabé). Likewise, in Saudi Arabia, I as soon as heard a Lebanese fellow asking the resort supervisor: “don’t you’ve gotten Arabic meals?” (which means East Med/Lebanese) as all they’d was… Arabic meals (Saudi preparations of rice and so forth.)
The Lebanese have been saying “bét” for not less than 3200 years, now they are saying “bét” nevertheless it out of the blue from a “dialect” of Arabic. It’s silly to suppose inhabitants will converse a language, say Aramaic, then out of the blue, tabula rasa, change to a different one for the similar phrases.
Many people who find themselves fluent and Levantine and classical Arabic fail to understand that the gap between the 2 is larger than between many languages deemed distinct, comparable to French and Romanian… Slavic “languages” comparable to Ukranian and Polish are a lot, a lot nearer to at least one one other than Levantine and Arabic. Identical with Scandinavian and Germanic languages. However there’s a bias in believing that each time a phrase exists in each Levantine and Arabic, that it’s of Arabic origin, by no means Aramaic or Canaanite-largely due to the standard lack of familiarity with Levantine languages. So Mar7aba is deemed to be Arabic when it’s the truth is simply Aramaic. (The IYIs are slowly and reluctantly accepting the Aramaic affect on the Arabic holy e book). Additionally word that if Northern Arabians share vocabulary with Lebs, it’s due to Aramaic fairly than the reverse.
(If the Lebanese know Arabic, it’s from schooling system and Tv, not from talking it).
Levantine makes use of the French é sound (the diacritical rboso) the place Arabic has an “i” (kasra) or lengthy i. (batyté, Ghassén, and so forth.) (Zré2 is arabized as Zurayq on the American College of Beirut. Somebody ought to inform them.)
Verbs kinds: Arabic has 15 kinds; Levantine and Aramaic have the identical four–6 kinds (relying on areas).
The particular article: the “Al” in Arabic doesn’t exist as a prefix in Aramaic (it’s suffixed), however does in Phoenician as hal and “‘l”. Didn’t change!